Friday, March 25, 2011

Snow Camp - Chapel Messages

Sorry for taking pretty much forever for posting this.  It was taking a while to write and eventually slipped my mind.  Thankfully I have a good friend who reminds of my forgetfulness. :)
(Click here for part one)

One of the things I look forward to the most at snow camp is the chapel meetings.  Our speaker, this year, was Jon Kopp.   We had heard him speak before (in '09) and really liked him.  I was excited about what I might learn, and almost dreaded what I might be convicted of, because I was pretty certain he would speak on something that would get my attention.

This is our group that went (in '09).  
The guy in the whitish dress shirt to the right is Jon Kopp.

I was right.  Pastor Jon did speak on something that would be convicting.  Actually - he spoke on the same thing that he did the last time.  And if you'd be so willing as to keep on reading, I'd like to share my testimony.

The theme of Pastor Jon's messages was "idols".  Friday morning the message was taken from James 4:4-6
"Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 5Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?
 6But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble."

He went on to say that when there are idols in our life, we are friends with the world.  Whoa!  In my heart, I knew that there were idols in my life, and what I just heard was not a very comforting thought.  If all that this man was saying was true, and it was, then I must be the enemy of God!   This is when my heart began to pound a little faster, and a little harder.  I couldn't be the enemy of God, How on earth could I have a true relationship with an enemy?  I knew then, that I had to get that idol out of the way.  Pastor Jon opened up for an invitation after the message.  I wasn't going to go, not at first.  I wanted to handle it on my own.  But then I couldn't help it, I needed to talk with my counselor.  So I left where I was standing and walked to the next room where I was able to share with my counselor that the computer was my idol.  The computer had always been fun to play on when I was young.  Though I don't play games any more, I still spent a large amount of time on it.  It got to the point last year that the computer came before my devotions.  I always knew this was wrong but never wanted to do anything about it.  Pastor then started a devotional challenge which I joined.  I was able to get into the habit of not only having time with my Lord everyday, but having that time before anything else.  Even so, I still knew I spent too much time on the computer, and that it very often brought more excitement then God's Word.   This was my idol and I needed to get rid of it.


Right now I am thankful for a forgiving and patient God who cares so very much for me.  For I do fall over and over again.  But something is different now, the computer isn't first in my life.

I know this pictures has nothing to do with what I was talking of.  I just really liked it.  Oh, and mom took this about a week ago.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Praying for you Chris, thanks for sharing!