Tuesday, October 11, 2011

French Bread

For our fall fest at church we were to bring our favorite soup and a side dish.  I knew at once what I was going to make.  Broccoli Cheddar Soup and French Bread.  They are both magnificent, and today I thought I'd share my french bread recipe.

You'll need:
  • 1 Tbsp. of dry yeast
  • 2 c. lukewarm water
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 6-8 c. flour
  • cornmeal
Combine the yeast and water and let set for 15 min. Then add the salt. 
Stir in the flour, one cup at a time, until you've obtained a smooth dough.  Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
Place in a greased bowl and cover.  Let rise for 2-4 hours in a warm place.  Transfer again to lightly floured surface and shape into two long loaves.  Place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal and let rise for 5 minutes.
Score the tops in several places with a sharp knife and then place into a cold oven.  Set a pan of boiling water at the bottom of the oven and then set oven to 400 F.
Bake until crusty and golden, about 40 minutes.

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the bread when finished.  I was quite rushed trying to make sure all the food and myself were ready.  

Trust me, this stuff is amazing! Especially with soup or when dipping in olive oil and spices!